Monday, July 6, 2009

Bathroom Renovation: Part 1

Back in May, Ben and I finally started round one of our bathroom renovation. We have been planning on doing the renovation for about a year now, but things kept coming up that prevented us from carrying out our plans. During that year, we ordered items we wanted for the bathroom as we found them on sale/had a coupon and just let the boxes stack up until we were ready. 

Our bathroom contains our laundry area and closet as well. Here are some before pictures: 

Our bathroom was painted lime green, which I loved. We just got tired of it because it has been like that for about 3 years now. One of our least favorite parts of the bathroom were the curtains we had to use to cover up our closet. The dogs like to eat the curtains, and it just looked messy. 



Round one of the renovation involved painting the bathroom grey, adding a super fabulous closet system from Ikea (with DOORS!), new lighting fixtures (globes from West Elm), new mirror, new shelves over the toilet, and new accessories. 

I love this mirror. We happened across it the day after Christmas at Crate and Barrel. It was a $400 mirror, but Ben found this one as a floor model while I was in the bathroom for only $100! I love it! We will be taking this with us when we move. 

Also notice the super cool dachshund art on the wall, which we found at Z Gallerie. 


Round two of the renovations, which will happen in a few weeks on my break between semesters, will involve removing the light fixture over the mirror and replacing it with a sconce on each side of the mirror. We will also take out the old vanity/sink/faucet and replace them. The new vanity will be Ikea kitchen cabinets, a white vessel sink, and a new brushed nickel faucet. I also plan on changing the fixtures in the shower. My one dilemma is the shower. It is just nasty. No matter what I clean that thing with, it never looks clean. More like just a lighter shade of grey because of all the dirtiness. It would cost WAY too much money to replace it, so I decided I would just have it refinished. For some reason, I was thinking this cost about $200. According to my pricing, it will actually be close to $400, which is a problem. I found a kit online to refinish it yourself that only costs $50. I'm just scared it might make it worse. 


That's our bathroom! I will post more pictures after we finish round two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment